California Nursery Master Plan
In January, the PGA-led design and planning team was selected to work with the City of Fremont to prepare a master plan for a new 20+ acre park on the site of the historic California Nursery. The history of this site begins in 1842, when Jose de Jesus Vallejo petitioned Governor Alvarado for Ranch Arroyo de la Alameda, a 17,705-acre land grant. The adobe home Vallejo built on the property remains today. In 1865, John Rock established the California Nursery and, in 1884, he moved it to Fremont. For 50 years, the Nursery was owned and operated by the Roeding family, who had already made their mark on California’s agricultural history in Fresno. It’s an extraordinary tale to be told.